Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Happy Loving Day! A Day Late...

Hi Meltingpot Readers,

Yesterday was Loving Day. Did you remember to celebrate? I kind of forgot. But just like I feel like every day is Martin Luther King, Jr. day when you're Black in America, every day is Loving Day when you're a Black woman, married to a Spanish man and you have three brownish kids. I mean, we celebrate interracial marriage being legal every morning we wake up in the same bed together. Ya dig?

That being said, there are some things I would like to do in honor of the great sacrifice Mildred and Richard Loving did in order to have their marriage recognized by their home state of Virginia. Namely, I'd like to fly my entire Kinky Gazpacho family to the Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival this weekend in Los Angeles. But it ain't gonna happen, because we just don't have the funds this year. (sigh) But we'll get there hopefully next year.

I'd also like to get a chance to see the new documentary about the Lovings, The Loving Story. It's being screened at Mixed Roots, but you already know, I won't be there. (bigger sigh). Here's the trailer.



I'm not sure when I'll be able to see the film, so in the meantime, to satisfy my Loving Day wanderlust, I'll probably just troll the internet and look for all of the slideshows that feature 'our favorite celebrity interracial couples.' I admit, it's a guilty pleasure. But one I really only indulge in, on Loving Day. I swear.

Okay, dear readers. Did you do anything to celebrate Loving Day? Are you going to? Let's hear it. You know I'm listening.

Peace!

No comments: